Reading to children and getting children to read themselves is crucial to develop their reading skills. You can improve motivation for reading by getting the right books: books that are creative an interesting. On this page, we've compiled a list of the better books that we've read to our own children, and we've added the target age range for them.
- War Horse - From master storyteller, Michael Morpurgo comes an incredibly moving story about one horse's experience in the deadly chaos of the first world war. In 1914, Joey, a young farm horse, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges towards the enemy, witnessing the horror of the frontline. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him.
- The Gruffalo (Picture Books) - this is the the story of a quick-witted mouse as he encounters a host of predators who seem to think he might make a tasty treat. As he ventures deeper into the deep dark wood, stumbling across a hungry fox, a not-so-wise owl, and a slimy snake, spinning ever-extraordinary yarns about the scary, scaly gruffalo, he quickly realises that the hungry beast he has been talking of isn't imaginary after all.
- Room on the Broom - This is the story of a good-natured witch and her contented, purring, cat flying through the air on a broomstick without a care in the world - until the wind blows away the witch's hat. When they fly down to retrieve the hat, a polite, helpful dog brings it to them and becomes another passenger on the broom. Throughout the book they also pick up a bird and a frog, making the broom very overcrowded. Then disaster strikes; the broom snaps in two causing the witch to become separated from her friends and a potential meal to a large red dragon.
- The Snail and the Whale - One tiny snail longs to see the world and hitches a lift on the tail of a whale. Together they go on an amazing journey, past icebergs and volcanoes, sharks and penguins, and the little snail feels so small in the vastness of the world. But when disaster strikes and the whale is beached in a bay, it's the tiny snail who saves the day.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Greg Heffley finds himself thrust into a new year and a new school where undersize weaklings share the corridors with kids who are taller, meaner and already shaving. Desperate to prove his new found maturity, which only going up a grade can bring, Greg is happy to have his not-quite-so-cool sidekick, Rowley, along for the ride. But when Rowley's star starts to rise, Greg tries to use his best friend's popularity to his own advantage. Recorded in his diary with comic pictures and his very own words, this test of Greg and Rowley's friendship unfolds with hilarious results.
- One Snowy Night. Nick Butterworth (Tales from Percys Park) - Percy, the park keeper, always feeds the animals in the park where he lives. But on a very cold winter night his animal friends require more of him than just food. One by one they appear, shivering on his doorstep, asking for shelter. Soon there is no room in the bed for Percy.
- The Butterfly Lion (First Modern Classics) - A lyrical and moving tale of a young boy growing up in Africa, and his lifelong friendship with a white lion. "All my life I'll think you you, I promise I will. I won't ever forget you." Bertie rescues an orphaned white lion cub from the African veld. They are inseparable until Bertie is sent to boarding school far away in England and the lion is sold to a circus. Bertie swears that one day they will see one another again, but it is the butterfly lion which ensures that their friendship will never be forgotten.
- Dinosaurs Love Underpants - Dinosaurs were all wiped out, A long way back in history, No one knows quite how or why, This book solves the mystery. You may wonder why dinosaurs became extinct, well here is the answer ...They were all wiped out in a mighty Pants War! Join T-Rex and the rest of the gang as they slog it out to gain prehistoric pants supremacy in this hilarious follow-up to the award-winning Aliens Love Underpants.